Kindergarten Transition is HARD!
So on Wednesday Evan had his first day of school, we walked him down to the bus stop (actually to the bus stop near by, but not at the end of our street cause we wanted to have other kids there). When he got there, he saw a friend from our street, they hopped on the bus together and off they went. When we arrived at school a few minutes later it was a different story, Evan was UPSET! He said he didn’t like the bus and that he missed me, plus they didn’t have his teacher’s name right and the room where they were organizing all the kids was chaotic. We walked to his room, and there was no cubby with his name on it. We got to very quickly speak with the teacher, fill out some forms and leave. We peeked back at him about 20 minutes later and he seemed to be doing much better. He seemed a-ok when he got off the bus that day, smiley and full of stories.
Yesterday did not go as well… At lunch there was nothing he liked and he didn’t know there was an option for cold lunch (yogurt and a bagel), so he just froze, wouldn’t get a lunch at all… the Assistant Principal helped him through the line, but he refused to eat what he chose. When the Asst. Principal told the teacher what had happened at lunch, the teacher said that Evan had been having some trouble keeping his hands to himself and was kicking some of the kids. This is what he does when he doesn’t know how to insert himself into a group – he starts bugging them hoping that they will play – not the best strategy. Then it was time for Art and he refused to move, he lay down on the rug and totally shut down. The teacher called the Asst. Principal again and she came and offered Evan the choice of coming to her office or going to Art – he quickly decided her office. She called me to let me know what was going on and I gave her some info on Evan and what makes him tick. I asked her to tell the teacher to call me.
Today, the bus came 20 minutes earlier than it has the past 2 days and so we missed it – I drove him to school and it was much harder for him to separate from me – he said “there are too many kids in my class”. I wanted to say “I know – it is ridiculous!” But I told him that that was cool, because there were so many kids his age for him to play with.
This transition is VERY HARD!!!! I really am crossing my fingers that things improve quickly – if not, we’ll need to figure out another option for him.
Yesterday did not go as well… At lunch there was nothing he liked and he didn’t know there was an option for cold lunch (yogurt and a bagel), so he just froze, wouldn’t get a lunch at all… the Assistant Principal helped him through the line, but he refused to eat what he chose. When the Asst. Principal told the teacher what had happened at lunch, the teacher said that Evan had been having some trouble keeping his hands to himself and was kicking some of the kids. This is what he does when he doesn’t know how to insert himself into a group – he starts bugging them hoping that they will play – not the best strategy. Then it was time for Art and he refused to move, he lay down on the rug and totally shut down. The teacher called the Asst. Principal again and she came and offered Evan the choice of coming to her office or going to Art – he quickly decided her office. She called me to let me know what was going on and I gave her some info on Evan and what makes him tick. I asked her to tell the teacher to call me.
Today, the bus came 20 minutes earlier than it has the past 2 days and so we missed it – I drove him to school and it was much harder for him to separate from me – he said “there are too many kids in my class”. I wanted to say “I know – it is ridiculous!” But I told him that that was cool, because there were so many kids his age for him to play with.
This transition is VERY HARD!!!! I really am crossing my fingers that things improve quickly – if not, we’ll need to figure out another option for him.

1 Comments:
Kira,
O agree how hard this transition is too!! Ashley, who normally LOVES school is waking up everyday crying that she doesn't want to go. Getting her dressed and ready to go is a project in itself. She has been crying when Rich drops her off. Day one she carried on for a good hour and then when I called the school, the teacher said she finally settled down. I had a hard time getting her to do her day one homework assignment too. Day 2 was better, she cried on the way and settled down when she got there. The teacher said she had a good day when I picked her up. Day 3, she cried again when she got there and then did settle down seconds later. I can only understand how scary this is for a child. When I dropped her off the 1st day, I had butterflies myself! I hope each day gets easier but righr now I feel TERRIBLE that she feels like this. It is definately a huge transition for them. Evan is so bright and I am sure he will eventually settle down. Good Luck!!
Post a Comment
<< Home